When Roger Federer was asked by a fan: ‘Can I have a picture with you Mr Nadal?’

Rafeal Nadal and Roger FedererRafael Nadal (left) and Roger Federer at the Laver Cup tournament. (AP)

Tennis legend Roger Federer did an Ask Me Anything on Twitter late in the night on Tuesday, which saw him opening up on several issues, including the time he was mistaken for Rafael Nadal.

The man with 20 Grand Slam titles to his name attended the Miami Grand Prix earlier this month where the faux pas is supposed to have happened.

“This happened the other day at the Formula 1 (race). A guy asked, ‘Can I have a picture with you Mr Nadal?’" I told him I wasn't Mr Nadal. He apologised and left without taking a picture,” tweeted Federer.

Over the course of the AMA, a fan pointed out that Federer's bio on the micro-blogging site still identified him as a professional tennis player. To this, Federer responded by quickly changing the bio to: "No longer a professional tennis player."

Federer, who called time on his illustrious career last year, also spoke longingly of his playing days in the AMA.

When asked if he missed the grind of training and frenetic pace of life as a tennis player, the Swiss maestro said:
"In a crazy way, I miss everything about it. For years of my life I didn't even remember what day of the week it was (other than Monday was the start of a tournament and Sunday was the end)."
In response to another tweet, he said: “There was a lot of little stuff (during my playing days) that I didn't know was creating so much stress that just dropped away (when I retired), which is really cool. Like a weight being lifted off my shoulders.”

He also gave a glimpse into his life after retirement. The 41-year-old said he now slept less than when he was a pro.

“I sleep less actually. Before, I *had* to get my sleep. Now, there's less pressure to (do so), so I end up sleeping less. Weird, right?”

Asked what his family felt about his retirement, he quipped: "I think they miss all of our travels but they're happy to have a more consistent routine at home."

He revealed that he had gone skiing with the family this winter for the first time.

Obviously, he was asked many questions about Nadal, who announced last week that he will be skipping the French Open.

“I will miss seeing him play. French Open + Rafael Nadal
= one of the most incredible records in history of all sports… (but) I'm happy for him that he's giving himself the necessary time so that he can come back healthy and make a few more magical runs,” said Federer.

He also added that his favourite game against the Spaniard was the French Open clash of 2008.

“Those four games were awesome,” he said.

He was asked if he missed playing Nadal.

“Yes and no,” he replied.



from Sports | The Indian Express https://ift.tt/8puzUFD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog